I love my playlist.
If you want a variety of good music, you come to me. Alternative? Yup. Celtic? Absolutely. How about Celtic Alternative? YES.
Need a good shot of the 80s? I’m your man.
Something more modern? I got it.
Upbeat dance music? On the list. Something a little slower and depressing? It’s there, too.
My tastes span the range of music, which makes it so awesome. Plus I get a great cross-section of lyrics – give me a good heartfelt line from a song over a motivational speech any day. Want to put me in a good mood? Play “Galway Girl” (which, incidentally, Sam – my six year-old – knows the words to because I play it enough) or some Erasure. Want to see me somber? Play a little old Billy Joel or maybe some Amos Lee. Want to boost my energy? Put on some Kid Rock or “Jack Sparrow” (which, if you haven’t heard it you need to – here’s the video which is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen).
Here’s a taste of my current playlist which is lacking some of my favorite artists like Kings of Leon, The Goo Goo Dolls, .38 Special, Lonestar and Bloc Party…but which fits my mood perfectly these days:
- “Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked” (Cage The Elephant)
- “Waiting For A Star To Fall” (Boy Meets Girl)
- “Send Me On My Way” (Rusted Root)
- “Captain Jack” (Billy Joel)
Captain Jack will get you high tonight
And take you to your special island
Captain Jack will get you by tonight
Just a little push, and you’ll be smilin’…
(“Captain Jack”; Billy Joel)
- “Cowboy” (Kid Rock)
- “Don’t You [Forget About Me]” (Simple Minds)
- “Jack Sparrow” (The Lonely Island)
- “A Little Respect” (Erasure)
- “Galway Girl” (The Elders)
And I ask you friend, tell me what would you do
‘Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
See I’ve traveled around; I’ve been all over this world
Boys, I ain’t never seen nothin’ like a Galway girl.
(“Galway Girl”; The Elders)
- “Ghost of Ontario” (The Elders)
- “Iko Iko” (Captain Jack)
- “Whiskey In The Jar” (The Killdares)
- “Johnny Tarr” (Gaelic Storm)
- “Alabama” (Cross Canadian Ragweed)
Tossing and turning her skins still burning
From the fire in his hands
Runnin’ on empty she needs somebody
But just somebody wouldn’t understand.
(“Alabama”; Cross Canadian Ragweed)
- “Slow Ride” (Sublime)
- “Something To Believe In” (Parachute)
- “Hey Mama Ya” (Scythian)
- “The Downeaster – Alexa” (Billy Joel)
- “Windows Are Rolled Down” (Amos Lee)
Is it what you dreamed it’d be
Are you locked up in this fantasy
Oh these miles that have torn us apart
My new found faith and my broken heart.
(“Windows Are Rolled Down”; Amos Lee)
What does your playlist look like? Mostly one genre, or a mix of many? A lot from one artist or a good cross-section?by